The more vital and essential question that can arise in the consumers’ mind is how to condense hot water consumption for energy savings. The production of warm water and energy is connected. The reason is, when you produce hot water, you need enough energy like natural gas or electricity. And at the same time when you use more hot water, more energy is required as well. Energy is also needed for the treatment of sewerage water. So, the water and the sewage bill are indirectly part of the energy bill.
You know, the water heating bill can hold the 2nd highest cost of all our household costing. So, if you reduce the use of hot water, you can reduce your energy bills also. We have to reduce the utilization of hot water by fixing the energy-efficient water heater, which can save waste of water.
Now the question arises how we can keep the hot water? To know the answer, we have to identify different types of water heater and their cost also.
- Traditional water heater: This type of water heater uses a reserve water heating method. The energy cost is more than about $800 because it continuously consumes energy.
- Tankless water heater: According to your demand, a tankless water heater heats the water. This heater has 8 to 34 % energy-saving capacity compared with the traditional type. And the installation process is more technical than the tank type of water heater.
- Heat pump water heater: This water heater can capture the heat from the air and pass the heat to the water. This heater can save 40% more energy than the electric water heater. But due to the cold air during the winter season, this water heater is not popular enough.
- Solar water heater: Solar power is the primary source to heat water. Renewable energy can save a lot of energy than any other water heating device. The installation cost is very high among all other water heaters. The price varies from $3000 to $ 5000.
- Condensing water heater: This type of water heater is like a tank type of water heater. This water heater uses exhaust gases that can go out by the duct. For a large family, this type of water heater is perfect. The installation cost is from $500 to $ 2000.
If you want to save energy, you must reduce the use of hot water. So, to condense hot water consumption, you may follow the following techniques:
- Install a low flow fixture of the water heater: You can find out that the new showerheads don’t exceed 2.5 gallons per munites when the water pressure is 80 Psi. When you install this fixture, you can save at least 25 to 60 % hot water.
The types of showerheads are-
- Aerator showerheads: Here, the sir mix with the water to create a misty spray, which is for the dry climate.
- Laminar-flow showerheads: These showerheads are suitable for humid climate and can form separate streams of water.
Among these two, the aerator is more energy efficient.
- Shower: Try to take a shower instead of taking a bath is more energy and hot water efficient. The available shower valves are-
- Power shower: Here, the stored hot water mixes with the cold water and pump by the electrical pumper.
- Electric shower: Instantly produce hot water when the cold water passes through the pipe.
- Mixture shower: Take both cold and hot water and supply them after mixing.
If you use gas instead of electricity, you can save at least 40% of energy. So, a power shower and the mixture shower can save more energy. But on the other hand, an electric shower can heat and supply hot water instantly without wasting the water. So, in the long run, with this electric shower, you can say more efficiently.
- Faucets: New faucet can save more energy than the old one. And at the same time, changing the faucet is not so expensive. Around $10 to $ 20, you can get energy-saving techniques.
The kitchen faucets also restrict the flow rates up to 2.2 GPM, whereas the bathroom faucet regulates flow rates up to 1.5 – 0.5 GPM. This is the best method to save energy.
- Dishwasher: You must use the dishwasher to wash your dish and save the use of hot water. In the market, there are mainly two types of dishwashers. Like-
Compared with these two types, depending on the design and technology, the compact nature of the dishwasher is more energy-efficient than the standard one. When you use a lower-standard dishwasher, you have to use it more frequently, which can take more energy.
You can also think about the booster Fisher dishwasher, which can save more energy than the regular normal dishwasher. This dishwasher has a 140-degree Fahrenheit temperature, which you can use for your optimal function. Though the installation cost is higher for the booster Fisher dishwasher, you can save more energy in the long run.
In the market, you can find out another dishwasher that has a shorter cycle feature that can save more energy. This one needs less water during the washing job, and then saves the power and also the utility bill. It can save 31 % energy and 33% water.
- Fix all the leaks: If a small amount of water drops continuously, then it can create a massive amount of energy loss. When you calculate per drop of water, you can see at the end of the year how many drops of water you waste. So you have to fix all the leaks immediately to get the perfect result.
- Save energy in the kitchen: If you give some extra attention to your kitchen, you can see that you can save lots of power at a time. Like-
- If you take the cold water and use the stove to hit it, you can save energy.
- Clothwasher: During washing our clothes, we also need some amount of hot water. But if we can make a habit of using the washing machine, we can save our energy.
And also, use the new type of energy-saving washing machine, which can reduce the utility bill also. Interestingly, an inefficient washing machine can cost much more than an efficient one. The front-loading washing machine can use less water and energy than the top-loaded washing machine. For getting the optimum result, you can use the standard-size machine instead of the smaller one.
Besides these necessary steps, we can take some other measures to reduce our energy level and utility bills:
- Must fix the thermostat temperature at 120° F. When the temperature is reduced every 10°F, you can save 3-5% on water heating costs at the same time.
- Try to insulate the water heater storage tank and always make cover the cold and hot water pipes with also insulation.
- During using the heater, use the heat trap inside the water heater. It helps to reduce $15-$30 from your utility bill.
- Must use a timer to stop the heater, especially at night or when it is not in use.
- Don’t take a shower for a long time to avoid wasting the water.
- Don’t open the faucet while brushing your teeth, save, or bring another dish for the wash. All these extra munites water can create additional utility bills and energy also.
All the energies are not renewable; try to depend on renewable energy more. I am very much confident that if any consumer follows all the instructions thoroughly, they can reduce the power quickly. We have to keep the powers for our future generations also. So try to make a habit of not wasting extra water and energy as well. I think you can find out the results of how to condense hot water consumption for energy savings and, at the same time, the monthly utility bill also.
Do Tankless Water Heaters Save Money?
We start our life with the help of a water heater. But the traditional or tank-type water heater takes enough time to get the cold water hot. When you have a hurry, you cannot make it late to get hot water for taking your bath or other emergency purposes. So, you just need the energy-consuming water heater, which you can get only from the tankless water heater. The tank type of heater needs enough time to make the water hot, and thus, it cannot save energy and the utility bill at the same time.
The energy-related appliance is also very environmentally friendly. Here I am trying to give you some information that will make you understand how can the tankless water heater save money?-
The traditional type of water heater can take enough time to heat the water, which can waste energy and, at the same time, increase the utility bill. Generally, for these two reasons, homeowners shifting to the tankless water heater.
However, not all homeowners agree to give the extra money to install a new water heater. Generally, a tankless water heater can save $108 per year, whereas the tank-type heater can save only $ 44 per year, according to The U.S. Department of Energy. But sometimes not all homes are ready to install a tankless water heater due to the upgraded system of the electrical unit, gas pipe, and other methods. Rewiring the whole house needs almost an extra $5000. The initial cost is high, but you cannot imagine how the tankless or on-demand water heater can save you money and also energy. In the long run, you can get the result.
How much can you save?
There is no accurate report of how much money you can save every year. It is estimated that it could save more than $100 per year, according to Energy Star. On the other hand, according to Consumer Reports, $70-$80 can save per year. But it will vary depending on the family members ad their uses of water. If you have a large family, it will cost more due to the more use of water. On the other hand, the gas type of water heater can save $ 108, whereas the electric type of heater can save $44 annually.
There is a lot to consider before shifting a tankless water heater from the tank type of heater. My article is ready to help you to make the decision. Go through the article and make a wise decision on which one is the right choice for you.